Case Study: Alderley Park Energy Centre (APEC) Project
Since 2005, Boulting Group has worked as a key alliance contractor with AstraZeneca to create a single Energy Centre providing the entire AZ Alderley Park Site with a modern, efficient, reliable and environmental source of high pressure hot water, steam and compressed air. As a result of Boulting's success in provision of M&E services for the initial expansion of the Energy Centre covering HPHW (High Pressure Hot Water), Boulting secured the final phase of works covering the sites steam supply.
- Overall Project timescale: 2005 - 2009.
- Steam / Compressed air phase: 2007 - 2009
APEC plant capability:
- 60MW of High Pressure Hot Water at 176°C and 19barg
- 18,000kg/hour of Steam operating at 7barg
- Expansion of site pipework distribution system
- Condensate recovery system
- New compressed air system to feed site
- Salt saturator and water softening system
- Associated E&I requirements
Scope of work
- Mechanical - Thermal, stress, structural,
- Electrical - Load, cabling, routing, MCC
- Instrumentation - Specification
- Process Control - URS, FDS, system characterisation, PLC, SCADA
Supply and Installation
- Boilers - Specification, procurement, installation
- Softened water & hotwell tanks - Specification, procurement, installation
- Heat recovery equipment - Specification, procurement, installation
- Pumps - Specification, procurement, installation
- Compressed air system - Specification, procurement, installation
- MCCs - Design, manufacture, supply, installation
- Oil Storage system
- Pipework/Structural Steelwork - Design, fabrication, installation
- Ancilliary equipment and control systems
- Commissioning - Managed the commissioning process.
- Training - Validated training given to operatives.
- Alliance team approach
- Design development - included ±10% estimate data
- Minimise disturbance and service outage
- Construction approach - Alliance with civils. Managed 10+ sub-contracts
- Mechanical / piping / instruments / electrical design
- Pump specification, supply and installation
- Design provided to allow unlimited access to M&E services in ducts.
- Pipework stress and flexibility analysis
- Underground ‘walk-though' service ducts
- Dual fuel capability for the APEC boilers
- More efficient boilers - expect 375,000 annual saving