Complete Design, Build and Installation Service for World Leading Energy Company
The facility, based in Hythe, is owned and operated by one of the world's leading energy companies, which has world-wide operations, with the UK being one of its key markets.
The existing HV/LV Distribution System was installed over 40 years ago and, whilst in good condition, could not be expanded sufficiently to serve current and future business requirements. The decision was taken to embark upon a major expansion and refit of 11/0.4Kv distribution equipment, including switchgear and cables.
Boulting were first awarded a contract to design and specify a brand new Distribution System. The full scope of works included Project Design, Documentation, Drawings and development of project specific requirements. Crucially, the designs had to adhere to a number of client specific criteria, including:
- An increase in the guaranteed supply capacity from 600kVA to 1250kVA.
- A flexible and robust Distribution System capable of site expansion to suit future loads.
- Distribution equipment and systems that meet US specification NFPA/IEE 1584 for the mitigation and protection from ARC Flash Incident energy.
- A reliable and fit for purpose design within agreed commercial restraints of the Clients budget.
On completion of the Design phase, the work package was issued by the client for competitive tender. Despite fierce competition, Boulting E&I were successful in their bid and were awarded the contract to supply and install:
- New and refurbished 11/0.4kV ONAN transformers
- Five panel 11kV extensible ring main unit
- 2 x 400V 2500 Amp 50kA/1 sec LV distribution switchboards
- 2 x 400v 50kA/1 Motor Control Centres c/w PLC control and SCADA system
- Fibre optic site wide network
- 3 x remote closing and tripping
- Cable ladder rack containment system
- MV/LV power cables
- Control and fibre optic cables
- Small power and lighting.
Manufacture and Supply
Fundamental to the success of the project was Boulting's own robust and proven Form 4 Fault Rated LV switchboards - manufactured in-house (to BS EN 61439) by Boulting's Electrical Systems.
Essentially, both the LV Switchboards and MCCs were manufactured with Client requirements for Arc Flash mitigation in mind:
- Both were equipped with remote tripping and closing panels, eliminating teh need for personnel to be exposed to potential Arc Flash Incidents when switching power supplies.
- The MCCs were manufactured to Boulting's busbar energy reduction design, reducing potential Arc Flash Incident energy levels below that considered dangerous.
Boulting Power and control also went on to provide PLC and SCADA support in the form of modifications to the control of the pumps and equipment via the SCADA interface system.
Top Quality Installation and Testing
To compliment the above, a top quality Electrical Installation service was provided by Boulting's E&I team, which included routing of cable containment for HV, LV control cabling and fibre optic signals.
Due to the site wide impact of the upgrade, complex planning was required to ensure effective interfacing with existing services and minimal disruption to operations. HV routes were particularly challenging, having to change from over-ground to protected underground routes in areas of congested existing services.
The success of this intricate and sometimes frustrating exercise was down to the skill, experience and application of Boulting's site based team.
On completion of site installation works Boulting E&I planned managed and completed all testing, pre-commissioning and handover documentation, which demanded a high level of haze=ardous area knowledge and inspection - provided by Boulting's team of specialist Hazardous Area Inspectors.
Completion of the upgrade has fundamentally improved the overall control, performance and functions of the Clients distribution facility.
Key benefits realised include:
- Increased electrical supply capacity available.
- Electrical capacity within LV switchboards increased for current and planned future expansion.
- PLC and SCADA control of pumps and drives implemented.
- Arc Flash mitigation systems in use creating a safer working environment for all.
- Enhanced ability to monitor and record electrical power usage.
Fred Aspinall, Boullting Group Director, commented, "This project gave Boulting Group the opportunity to really demonstrate the strength of our core capabilities and how we have a fully integrated company, delivering a complete Design, Build and Installation service."